CHILLED V FROZEN SEMEN
If you are thinking of getting your mare in foal, one of the most common questions we get asked is should I use chilled or frozen semen? Below is a summary of the pros and cons of each option.
Chilled semen for AI (artificial insemination)
– higher success rate than frozen semen.
– less labour intensive and therefore less expensive than frozen semen.
– the stallion must be located in Australia or NZ as the semen only lasts 48-72 hours after collection.
– constant communication required between the vet and stallion owner.
– some stallions get booked out or don’t collect at certain times of the breeding season as they are competing.
Frozen semen AI
– lower success rate than chilled semen.
– more labour intensive and therefore more expensive than chilled semen.
– frozen semen can be used from anywhere in the world often allowing for the most sought after stallions to be used.
– frozen semen is often expensive to purchase with no in foal guarantee.